N1 BILLION AGRIC LOAN NOT FOR INTERNET FARMERS--GOV. IKPEAZU



GOVERNOR Okezie Ikpeazu of Abia State has assured farmers in the state of judicious disbursement of the N1billion Commercial Agricultural Credit Scheme Loan which the State recently secured from the Central Bank of Nigeria, warning that it was not for internet farmers.

The governor also told Abia people not to pity him over the present poor revenue of the State, saying that God would handle the situation.

Speaking at a town hall meeting with the people of Abia Central Senatorial District, Ikpeazu said that he would strictly monitor and ensure that the loan was not used a political patronage but must go to genuine farmers who would use the funds to improve agriculture in the State to ensure food sufficiency.

"Let me inform you that we have received N1billion agricultural loan from the CBN. This loan, I assure you, will be judiciously distributed to genuine farmers amongst us. I know our farmers, and let me inform political farmers whose farms are on the internet not to bother coming because this loan is not for you", Governor Ikpeazu said.

Decrying the declining Federal Allocations to the state, the Governor however, assured that it would not affect his infrastructural development program and payment of workers' salaries.

"I want you to understand that we are in tough times in the state. I am sure you're aware of the economic hard times in the country that has occasioned the drastic drop in our monthly allocation to as low as N1.7 billion.

"Our monthly allocation as at today cannot support payment of workers salaries, not to talk of executing other projects. This has also impacted on our internally generated revenue as a state.

"Don't pity me because of the tough times. I know that my God is able to handle the situation. But let me assure you that amidst this obvious challenge, our government will continue to improve on our infrastructure and also pay salaries as we can, but I ask for your understanding and support in this hard time.

"We do not have any other option than to improve the infrastructure in the state, especially at Aba, the commercial-hub, to motivate people to pay taxes thereby improving the internally-generated revenue of the state.


"Let me also reassure you of my promise, as your Governor, not to misappropriate the confidence you bestowed on me”, he told the people.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tomato disease outbreak: Institute appeals for research funding

10,000 women farmers to be engaged in ECOWAS rice project – official

NEGPRO project can create more jobs with inclusion of meat production— Badmus